Electives in Orthopaedic Surgery
The Temple University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine offers multiple learning opportunities for different learners. These include traditional clinical rotations for third and fourth year medical students, as well as for physician assistant and podiatry students. These clinical rotations allow for active participation in a variety of settings including inpatient, outpatient, surgical and classroom/videoconferencing settings. Bedside teaching is complemented with participation in daily morning conference with the residents and faculty, weekly didactic teaching sessions with faculty, and asynchronous online learning modules.
The current clinical rotation offerings include:
- Subinternship in orthopaedic surgery (MS4)
- Hand surgery (MS4)
- Nonoperative sports medicine (MS4)
- Elective in orthopaedic surgery (PA2)
- Elective in orthopaedic surgery (MS3, MS4)
We also offer the pass/fail “Introduction to Orthopaedic Surgery” elective for MS1 and MS2 students, shadowing opportunities, and research opportunities including a research elective.
Visiting Student Instructions
The department welcomes visiting students to our program through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) and the Clerkship Office of the Lewis Katz School of Medicine. Learn more: https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/visiting-students
Visiting Student Scholarships:
There are two scholarship opportunities for visiting MS4 medical students planning on doing an away rotation in Orthopaedic Surgery at Temple University Hospital in 2022.
- Diversity Visiting Clerkship Program: This is offered through the Office of Health Equity Diversity and Inclusion at LKSOM and information can be found here.
- Scholarship for Women and LGBTQ+ Candidates: This is offered through our department and is aimed at women and LGBTQ student applicants, both of whom are underrepresented groups in the field of Orthopaedic Surgery.
A diverse physician population which better reflects its patient population has clear advantages for patient care, research, education, and service. Diversity of gender and sexual orientation amongst orthopaedic surgeons has been slower to progress than in other specialties. LKSOM and the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce. This scholarship will support a visiting fourth year medical student who is pursuing a career in orthopaedic surgery and is interested in doing an away rotation at Temple University Hospital.
Who Should Apply:
Women and LGBTQ+ fourth year full time medical students in good standing at LCME-accredited United States medical schools and who are United States citizens should consider applying. Applicants must be on track to complete all required clerkships through their home medical school prior to beginning the rotation at LKSOM.
Stipend of $1000, to be used towards travel, lodging, and related expenses during the four-week rotation in 2022.
How to Apply:
Applicants must provide the following:
- Completed VSAS application
- Personal statement (350-500 words) discussing their career goals
- One letter of recommendation from faculty
- Finalists may be invited to conduct a brief (30 minute) telephone or video-based interview. Selection will be based on a holistic approach.
- Submit your personal statement and recommendation letter to Saqib Rehman, MD at email@example.com
Application Deadline – May 31, 2022
Questions or concerns: Contact Saqib Rehman, MD at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visiting students can also learn more about the department and residency program by following us on social media:
Saqib Rehman, MD, MBA
Director for Student Electives in Orthopaedic Surgery
Vice-Chair and Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery