How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine training programs at Temple University Hospital. We accept applications for the following programs: A 3-year Categorical Internal Medicine Residency and a 1-year Preliminary Internal Medicine Residency. If you are interested in our Primary Care Program, click here for more information. We have outlined our application process below. If you have any questions along the way, please contact one of our administrators.
All first year positions are filled through participation in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through the Association of American Medical College (AAMC). We review all application content supplied in the “MyERAS” application sections inclusive of the research, meaningful experiences, and any other supplemental questions answered in this section.
We begin to view applications September 27th.
Our NRMP match codes are as follows:
- Categorical Program: 1646140C0
- Primary Care Track: 1646140M0
- Preliminary Program: 1646140P0
- Internal Medicine/Sabbath Observed: 1646140C2
Application Requirements For All Programs
In order to provide a more equitable interview process for all applicants, we have adopted the guidance provided by the Alliance of Academic Internal Medicine regarding interview requirements.
- Apply through ERAS
- Medical School Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores
- Step 1: Required for application
- Step 2 CK: encouraged to have taken by the time of application
- MSPE/Dean’s letter
- Letters of Recommendation: Minimum 2, Maximum 4.
- Categorical Applicants: One clinical letter from an internal medicine faculty member (includes subspecialties of IM) and a Department of Medicine Summary Letter of Evaluation (also known as a Chair Letter or Departmental Letter). Up to two additional letters will be considered.
- Preliminary Year Applicants: One clinical letter from an internal medicine faculty member is strongly encouraged (includes subspecialties of IM) and an additional clinical letter from any specialty. Up to two additional letters will be considered.
International Medical School Graduate Requirements
Application Requirements (in addition to the above requirements):
- Documentation of graduation or expected graduation from an ECFMG-certified medical school
- Rotation at an Academic Medical Center (preferably in the United States)
- Visa Requirements:
- J-1 and H1-B visas can be sponsored
Osteopathic Medical School Applicants:
Application Requirements: same as for allopathic medical school applicants, except:
- COMLEX Scores may be submitted and will be taken into consideration. Although most osteopathic applicants choose to take both COMLEX and USMLE exams, we will accept either or both exams for residency application. Those interested in future fellowships are strongly encouraged to take the USMLE exams.
Additional Requirements for Tracks
- Primary Care: No additional requirements necessary. Refer to the categorical internal medicine residency requirements. You may rank both the categorical and primary care tracks separately. You can be considered for both programs if you wish.
- Health Systems Sciences, Medical Education, and Urban Bioethics Tracks: No additional requirements. Applications to these tracks are submitted during internship for acceptance as a PGY-2.
Interview and Selection Procedure
- Selection for interviews is a competitive process; we receive thousands of applications to our residency program each year! A holistic review is utilized for interview selection. Interviews take place from October through January.
- If invited for interview, you will be notified via the email address you supplied through the Thalamus platform.
- We utilize the Thalamus platform to send e-mail communications, scheduling for the interview day, and pre-interview socials.
For more information about the interview process, please visit the Interview page.