How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine training programs at Temple University Hospital. We accept applications for the following programs: A 3-year Categorical Internal Medicine Residency, a 2-2-2-year ABIM/Physician Scientist Research Pathway, and a 1-year Preliminary Internal Medicine Residency. If you are interested in our Primary Care Program, click here for more information. We have outlined our application process below. If you have any questions along the way, please contact one of our administrators.
ERAS Application Deadline: November 30
Our NRMP match codes are as follows:
- Categorical Program: 1646140C0
- Preliminary Program: 1646140P0
- ABIM/Physician Scientist Research Pathway: 1646140C1
Application Requirements For All Programs
- Apply through ERAS
- Medical School Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores
- Step 1: Required for application
- Step 2 CK and CS: Not required for application, but required prior to starting residency
- MSPE/Dean’s letter
- Letters of Recommendation:
- A Department/Chair Letter should be included if the program offers one.
- A minimum of two (and maximum of three) additional letters of recommendation should be included.
International Medical School Graduate Requirements
Application Requirements (in addition to the above requirements):
- Documentation of graduation or expected graduation from an ECFMG-certified medical school
- Successful completion of USMLE Step 1 and Step 2
- Rotation at an Academic Medical Center (preferably in the United States)
- Visa Requirements:
- J-1 and H1-B visas can be sponsored
Osteopathic Medical School Applicants:
Application Requirements: same as for allopathic medical school applicants.
- COMLEX Scores may be submitted and will be taken into consideration, but successful completion of USMLE Step 1 is required for application review.
Additional Requirements for Tracks
- Primary Care: No additional requirements necessary. Please apply through the categorical internal medicine residency application process (see above).
- ABIM/Physician Scientist Research Track: Demonstrated track record of research and evidence of commitment to a career in a research pathway in the areas of cardiology, pulmonary, infectious diseases or hematology/oncology.
- Medical Education, Urban Bioethics, and Hospital Medicine Tracks: No additional requirements. Applications to these tracks are submitted during internship for acceptance as a PGY-2.
Interview and Selection Procedure
Selection for interviews is a competitive process. Although USMLE scores are taken into consideration, we view this as one component of an applicant’s entire application.
- Interviews take place from October through January.
- If invited for interview, you will be notified via the email address you supplied through ERAS.
For more information about the interview process, please visit the Interview page.