Research is an integral part of Temple’s Thoracic Surgery Fellowship Program. Fellows have protected time to dedicate toward longitudinal research projects of their choosing including research in clinical outcomes, translational sciences, basic science, and quality improvement (QI). The expectation is that residents’ research will lead to a mastery of a topic and multiple scientific presentations and publications.
Presentations & Publications
- Lung Cancer Screening in a Predominantly African-American Population. Erkmen C, Mitchell M. International Journal Radiation Oncology Biology Phys. 2017 May 1;98(1):242-243. PMID 28587023
- An Enhanced Shared Decision Making Model to Address Willingness and Ability to Undergo Lung Cancer Screening and Follow-Up Treatment in Minority Underserved Populations. Erkmen CP, Mitchell M, Randhawa S, Sferra S, Kim R, DiSesa V, Kaiser LR, Ma GX.J Community Health. 2017 Jun 13. doi: 10.1007/s10900-017-0383-y. 28612174
- Black Lungs Matter: A history on inequality in Lung Cancer Outcomes based on race. Literature Review. Mark Mitchell MD. Cherie Erkmen, MD. Submission for publication pending.
- Diaphragmatic Hernia Repair after Heartmate II. Surgical Video. Mark Mitchell MD. International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery Annual Meeting 6/2018
- Single Lung Transplantation Utilization for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Retrospective Case Review Poster. Mark Mitchell MD. American Association for Thoracic Surgery Annual Meeting. May 2018
- Concomitant Surgical Cryoablation for Refractory Tachycardia during Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation for Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, Case Report. Gengo Sunagawa MD, Mark Mitchell MD. International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Annual Meeting. April 2018
- Cor Triatriatum Sinister with Coronary Bypass Surgery in an Adult. Case Report. Mark Mitchell, MD; Robert Boova. Poster Presentation at International Coronary Congress 2017.
- Jordan S, Abbas A, Bakhos C, Lee H, Petrov R. Creator/Presenter. Accepted for publication. “Robotic-Assisted Repair of Delayed Presentation of Traumatic Diaphragmatic Hernia.” American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress. 2019 Oct 29. San Francisco, CA.
- Jordan S, Petrov R, Bakhos C, Abbas A. Creator/Presenter. Movie Night Video: “Robotic-Assisted Resection of Intralobar Pulmonary Sequestration.” 32nd Annual Meeting of General Thoracic Surgical Club. 2019 Mar 8. Naples, FL.
- Mitchell M, Jordan S, Bakhos C, Petrov R, Erkmen C, Abbas A. Contributor. General Session Video: “Right Upper Lobe Posterior Segmentectomy”. 32nd Annual Meeting of General Thoracic Surgical Club. 2019 Mar 7-9. Naples, FL.
- Mitchell M, Sungagawa G, Jordan S, Kashem A, Brann S, Kromah F, Keshavamurthy S, Abraham-Gomez J, Minakata K, Shigemura N, Leotta E, Toyoda T. Single Lung Transplantation Utilization for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Poster presented at: American Association of Thoracic Surgery 98th Annual Meeting; 2018 Apr 28-May 1, San Diego, CA.
- Sunagawa G, Mitchell M, Basil A, Jordan S, Kromah F, Brann S, Keshavamurthy S, Gomez-Abraham J, Kashem M, Shigemura N, Minakata K, Toyoda Y. Concomitant Surgical Cryoablation for Refractory Tachycardia during Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation for Ischemic Cardiomyopathy. Poster presented at: 38th Annual Meeting for International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation; 2018 Apr 11-14, Nice, France
- Patel S, Chirantan M, Sunagawa G, Yanagida R, Brann S, Toyoda Y, Minakata K. Open Surgery for Primary Aortic Thombosis. Future submission to Journal of Vascular Surgery. Accepted for presentation at 2020 AATS meeting, New York, NY.
- Toyoda Y, Kashem A, Boova R, Yanagida R, Brann S, Sunagawa G, Patel S, Mangukia C, Moser W, Shiose A, Minakata K. Initial Results of a Regional Ross Program: Endocarditis vs. Non-Endocarditis. Accepted for presentation at 2020 AATS meeting, New York, NY.
- Chirantan M, Parth R, Parag D, Tse-Shuen J, Brann S, Patel S, Sunagawa G, Toyoda Y. Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy Review of the Last Decade: A Special Focus on Pulmonary Hemorrhage. Accepted. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2020
- Chirantan M, Sunagawa G, Patel S, Brann S, Minakata K, Toyoda Y. VenoArterial Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation as Bridge to Cytolytic Therapy. Accepted. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2020
- Patel S, Petrov R, Abbas A, Bakhos C. Robotic-assisted McKeown esophagectomy. J Vis Surg. 2019;5:43.
- Bakhos CT, Patel S, Petrov RV, Abbas AE. Management of Paraesophageal Hernia in the Morbidly Obese Patient. Thorac Surg Clin. 2019;29(4):379-86.
- Bakhos C, Patel S, Petrov R, Abbas A. Jejunostomy-technique and controversies. J Vis Surg. 2019;5:33
Muhammad Farhan Nadeem
- Robot assisted right upper lobe sleeve lobectomy. F Nadeem, R Shulman, R Petrov, C Bakhos, A Abbas (Abstract accepted ISMICS 2020 Warsaw, Poland).
- Robot assisted McKeown esophagectomy with robot assisted feeding jejunostomy F Nadeem, R Petrov, C Bakhos, A Abbas (Abstract accepted ISMICS 2020 Warsaw, Poland)
- Intrapericardial salvage completion pneumonectomy F Nadeem, R Petrov, C Bakhos, A Abbas (Abstract accepted ISMICS 2020 Warsaw, Poland)
- Robotic hiatal hernia repair and mechanical sphincter augmentation. F Nadeem, S Robinson, R Petrov, C Bakhos, A Abbas (Abstract accepted ISMICS 2020 Warsaw, Poland)
- Barriers to lung cancer screening: Residents’ perception vs In practice providers’ experience Farhan Nadeem, Simran Randhawa, Larry Kaiser, Grace Ma, Cherie Erkmen (Abstract presented at SPEECH Conference Philadelphia 2019)
- Prognostic utility of trending troponin levels in trauma patients admitted to critical care unit MF Nadeem, CS Lapunzina. (Abstract presented at NYMC 2019)