In This Section

About 

The Neurosurgical Service at Temple University Hospital was developed by Temple Fay, MD in l930. Dr. Fay was a co-founder and former president of the Harvey Cushing Society (now the American Association of Neurological Surgeons).

The Temple Neurosurgical Residency was one of the original twenty programs that were in existence when the American Board of Neurological Surgery was founded in 1940. Michael Scott, MD, a resident under Dr. Fay, became chairperson of the department in l943 and remained in that position until l97l. Dr. Scott was responsible for the training of many neurosurgeons, five of whom have become professors of neurosurgery and chairpersons of their departments.

Dr. Michael Scott was greatly respected and loved by the many neurosurgeons that he trained and in l995, an annual oration was established in his name with his son, R. Michael Scott, MD, Chief of Neurosurgery at Boston Children's Hospital, as the first orator. Furthermore, Mrs. Catherine Scott continued to serve Temple University Hospital on its Auxiliary until very recently.

The late Fred Murtagh, MD, served as Chairman after Dr. Scott until l976, when William Buchheit, MD took over the reins. Dr. Buchheit served with distinction as Chairman until l994 and was succeeded in 1995 by Raj K Narayan, MD as the fifth chair in the program's seventy-year history. In 2004, Temple Neurosurgery welcomed Christopher M. Loftus, MD, DHC (Hon), FACS as the Chairman. Dr. Loftus is a distinguished international surgeon, author, and speaker as well as the Assistant Dean for International Affiliations. Dr. Michael Weaver became Chairman in 2013 and since his appointment has recruited multiple new faculty to its current group of subspecialty-focused faculty.

Although the Temple Neurosurgery Program has a long and distinguished record in various aspects of neurosurgery, perhaps its most notable historic claim to fame is the pioneering work in stereotactic neurosurgery, which was performed at Temple University Hospital by Drs. Ernst Spiegel and Henry Wycis. The first stereotactic frame that was used in humans was developed at Temple by Drs. Spiegel and Wycis is now displayed at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC.

Prominent graduates of the Temple Neurosurgery Residency serve as professors and chairs of multiple academic Departments of Neurosurgery around the country. We strive to develop academic leaders in Neurosurgery.

For more information regarding our department, residency program or our history please feel free to contact the Neurosurgery Administrator, Frances Wisniewski, at 215-707-1793 or via email at frances.wisniewski@tuhs.temple.edu, or the GME Program Administrator, Lori Adams, at Lori.Adams@tuhs.temple.edu or 215-707-3094.