USMLE Policy and Procedures
All students studying for the MD degree are required to pass USMLE Step 1 as a condition of continued matriculation and Step 2 CK and 2 CS as a condition of continued matriculation and of graduation.
- Step 1 shall be taken prior to beginning Year 3 clerkships of the medical school curriculum. If a student does not take and pass Step 1 within one year of completing the year 2 (pre-clerkship) curriculum, (s)he shall be dismissed.
- Step 2 CK (Clinical Knowledge) and Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills) shall be taken no later than October 31st of the calendar year in which medical students are enrolled in Year 4 of the medical school curriculum.
- Passing Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS are required for candidates to sit for the Step 3 examination, which is usually taken during the first residency year after graduation from medical school.
A student who fails to pass Step 1 on his/her initial attempt shall:
- Be withdrawn from the current clerkship block (usually block 1 or 2), and may not return until (s)he has retaken the Step 1 exam.
- Take Step 1 again within 90 days after receiving his/her score.
- Resume the third year program at the beginning of the block following retake of the exam.
- The block(s) missed shall be made up during vacation time in the beginning of the fourth year, if the retake of Step 1 is passed.
A student who fails to pass Step 1 on his/her second attempt shall:
- Be withdrawn from the current clerkship block (usually block 4 or 5)
- Be automatically registered into the Independent Study Program for the spring semester (enabling him/her to continue to be considered a full-time student).
- Take Step 1 for the third time no later than April of that year.
- The student must have a passing Step 1 score prior to re-entering the Year 3 program. If a student fails the examination a third time, (s)he shall be dismissed.
A student who does not take Step 2 CK or 2 CS by October 31st of the Year 4 curriculum will not be permitted to continue clinical rotations until the student takes both examinations.
A student who fails to pass Step 2 CK or 2 CS shall:
- Take Step 2 CK or 2 CS again, no later than March 15th
- Complete the fourth year curriculum
A student who fails to pass Step 2 CK or 2 CS for the second time shall:
- Take Step 2 CK or 2 CS for the third time, no later than March 15th in order to graduate on time. Otherwise, the student shall be automatically registered into the Independent Study Program for the following semester, with a potential June or August graduation date.
- If a student fails the Step 2 CK or 2 CS examination three times, s/he shall be dismissed from the school.
A passing score for Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS must be reported to the Office of Medical Education no later than one week prior to University graduation to be awarded a diploma. The University awards diplomas in May, June, August and January.