Domenico Praticò, MD
Scott Richards North Star Charitable Foundation Chair for Alzheimer’s Research
Director and Professor, Alzheimer's Center at Temple
Professor, Neural Sciences
Professor, Center for Translational Medicine
- Contact Information
- About Me
Dr. Praticò’s research area is clinical pharmacology with a special focus on the cellular and molecular aspects of cell oxidative biology and a particular interest in small molecules such as bioactive oxidized lipids.
This area is very broad and extends to multiple disciplines including aging, cardiovascular diseases as well as neurodegeneration. Our work in the biology of oxidized bioactive lipids has significantly contributed to the current understanding of their importance as biomarkers, mediators of cellular and molecular events involved in the pathogenesis of several clinical conditions, and therapeutic targets for preventing and treating human diseases. In our lab we employ cellular and animal models of human diseases, and in this context particular emphasis is given to the translation of any observation made in these systems into a better understanding of human physiology and pathology. Our group is committed to foster collaborative scientific research of the highest quality, and at the same time to provide outstanding teaching and mentoring for young scientists.
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Fellowship, Hemocoagulation, Hospital of the University of Rome "La Sapienza," 1991; Cardiovascular Science, University of Dublin, Ireland, 1994
- Residency, Hospital of the University of Rome "La Sapienza," 1991
- Internship, Hospital of the University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- MD, University of Rome "La Sapienza," Rome, Italy, 1986
- Internal Medicine, University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- Society for Neuroscience
- Italian Research Council
- American Federation for Medical Research
- American Heart Association
- New York Academy of Science
- International Academy of Cardiology
- Related Links