William R. Auger, MD
Clinical Professor (Adjunct), Medicine
- Contact Information
- About Me
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- Acute thromboembolism
- Post PE syndrome
- Natural history of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Treatment of acute and chronic pulmonary embolic disease
- Direct visualization and imaging of pulmonary thromboembolism
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Fellowship, Critical Care, Ellis Hospital, Schenectady, NY
- Residency, Medicine, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Member, American Thoracic Society
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- Member, International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation
- Member, International CTEPH Association (ICA)
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, American Lung Association Research Training Fellowship, 1987–89
- Dupont Critical Care/ACCP Young Investigator Award, 1989
- Will Rogers Institute — Pulmonary Research Fellowship
- Faculty Physician of the Year, UCSD Medical Center, 1995–96
- Senior Mentor, UCSD Junior faculty Mentorship Program, National Center of Leadership in Academic Medicine (NCLAM), 1999
- Inaugural Member, Academy of Clinician Scholars, UCSD Medical Center, 2002–2004
- America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2003–2004, 2004–2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Elected Member, Academy of Clinician Scholars, UCSD Medical Center, 2005–present
- Best Doctors in America, 2005–2011, 2013–2018
- Top Doctors in San Diego County (Pulmonary Diseases), 2005–2015
- Top Doctors in San Diego County (Critical Care Medicine), 2007
- America’s Top Doctors 2010–2018 (Castle Connolly Medical 9th–17th Editions)
- US News and World Report’s “Top Doctors,” 2011–2012, 2012–2013
- Selected Member, “The Leading Physicians of the World”, IAHCP (Pulmonologist), 2013
Dembitsky WP, Daily PO, Moser KM, Auger WR. Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy as the preferred alternative to heart-lung transplantation for chronic pulmonary embolism. Cardiac Surgery: State of the Art Reviews 1989; 3(3):577-582.
Moser KM, Auger WR, Fedullo PF. Chronic, major vessel thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Circulation 1990; 81:1735-1743.
Daily PO, Dembitsky WP, Iversen S, Moser KM, Auger WR. Risk factors for pulmonary thromboendarterectomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1990; 99:670-678.
Winkler MH, Rohrer CH, Ratty SC, Jamieson S, Dembitsky W, Moser KM, Auger WR. Perfusion techniques of profound hypothermia and circulatory arrest for pulmonary thromboendarterectomy. J Extra-Corporeal Tech 1990; 22(2):57-60.
Olman MA, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Moser KM. Pulmonary vascular steal in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Chest 1990; 98:1430-1434.
Daily PO, Dembitsky WP, Iversen S, Moser KM, Auger WR. Current early results of pulmonary thromboendarterectomy for chronic pulmonary embolism. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1990; 4(3):117-121.
Chen P-S, Moser KM, Dembitsky WP, Auger WR, Daily PO, Jamieson SW, Calisi CM, Feld GK. Patterns of epicardial activation and repolarization in patients with right ventricular hypertrophy. Circulation 1991; 83(1):104-118.
Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Moser KM, Buchbinder M, Peterson KL. Chronic Major-Vessel Thromboembolic Pulmonary Artery Obstruction: Appearance at angiography. Radiology 1992; 182:393-398.
Moser KM, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Jamieson SW. Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension: Clinical picture and surgical treatment. Eur Respir J 1992; 5:334-342.
Jamieson SW, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Channick R, Kriett JM, Tarazi RY, Moser KM. Experience and results of 150 pulmonary thromboendarterectomy operations over a 29 month period. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 1993; 106:116-27.
Moser KM, Metersky ML, Auger WR, Fedullo PF. Resolution of vascular steal after pulmonary thromboendarterectomy. Chest 1993; 104:1441-1444.
King MA, Bergin CH, Yeung D, Belezzouli E, Olson L, Ashburn W, Auger WR, Moser KM. Chronic pulmonary thromboembolism: detection of regional hypoperfusion with CT. Radiology 1994; 191:359-363.
Johnson CJ, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Dimsdale JE. Methylphenidate in the “Hard to Wean” patient. J Psychosomatic Research 1995; 39:63-68.
Yi ES, Auger WR, Friedman PJ, Morris TA, Shin SS. Intravascular bronchiolo-alveolar tumor of the lung presenting as pulmonary thromboembolic disease and pulmonary hypertension. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1995; 119:255-260.
Kerr KM, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Channick RN, Moser KM, Large vessel pulmonary arteritis mimicking chronic thromboembolic disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 152:367-373.