Temple University Hospital has been a fixture in its North Philadelphia neighborhood for over 100 years. Originally named Samaritan Hospital, it was founded by Reverend Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, in 1892 as a place to provide care to the inhabitants of the area. The School of Medicine was founded in 1901 as a night school to permit people who wished to study medicine but needed to maintain full-time employment to get a medical degree.
Since then, Temple has developed and evolved with the times to become a full-service medical center with facilities on this campus for the education of doctors, nurses, dentists, pharmacists and other health professionals. Temple University Hospital is located on the Health Sciences Center campus in the Nicetown-Tioga section of North Philadelphia.
- 722-bed hospital
- Comprehensive medical, surgical, ambulatory and emergency services
Fox Chase Cancer Center has the country's first charter as a cancer hospital and is located on a verdant campus in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia, which borders Montgomery County. It is one of 20 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Health System also includes Jeanes Hospital and TUH Episcopal Campus (the clinical campus for the Department of Psychiatry). Formal rotations are not required at these hospitals but residents have opportunities to rotate with physicians at these sites if they desire.
Each year, these hospitals admit more than 6,000 patients to the medical services providing a combined average daily census of 350 patients whose primary care is the responsibility of the medical service teams. These inpatients, together with 20,000 medical outpatients and 47,000 annual visits to Temple University Hospital's active emergency room, provide a wealth of patient material for excellent educational experiences.