Lindsay E. Y. Kuo, MD, MBA, FACS
Assistant Professor, Surgery
- Contact Information
- About Me
- Adrenal cancer
- Adrenal masses and tumors
- Aldosteronomas/Conn Syndrome
- Cushing Syndrome
- Parathyroid cancer
- Graves' disease
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid codules
- Neck masses
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia
- Health disparities and access to care
- Surgical decision-making and extent of surgery, particularly for thyroid cancer
Dr. Kuo is a high-volume endocrine surgeon, specializing in surgery of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. Dr. Kuo regularly treats benign and malignant conditions including Graves’ disease, complex thyroid cancer, primary hyperparathyroidism, and hyperfunctioning adrenal masses. Dr. Kuo has expertise in minimally invasive surgery and is one of only two surgeons in the Philadelphia region to perform retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy.
Dr. Kuo treats every patient like a family member, advocating for their care and working towards the best possible outcome. The decision-making process for endocrine tumors can be complex, and Dr. Kuo ensures that every patient has a smooth experience from diagnosis to surgery and postoperative care and beyond.
- Education, Training & Credentials
- MD, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Residency, General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship, Endocrine Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- MBA, Health Care Management, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, Philadelphia, PA
- General Surgery
- American Thyroid Association
- Association of Women Surgeons
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Society of Asian Academic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- Association of Academic Surgeons
- Philadelphia Academy of Surgery
Honors & Awards
- Gordon P. Buzby Surgical Leadership Award, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, 2015
- Administrative Chief Resident, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, 2013-2015
- Resident Leadership Scholarship, Residents and Associates Section, American College of Surgeons, 2015
Publications from the last five years:
1. Sharoky CE, Collier KT, Wirtalla CJ, Sinnamon AJ, Neuwirth MG, Kuo LE, Roses RE, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Hospitalization in the Year Preceding Major Oncologic Surgery Increases Risk for Adverse Events. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Nov;24(12):3477-3485. PMID 28808930.
2. Collier K, Sataloff J, Wirtalla C, Kuo L, Karakousis GC, Wachtel H, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Understanding Readmissions Following Operations of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands. Am J Surg. 2017 Sep;214(3):501-508. PMID 28818283.
3. Kuo LE, Kaufman E, Hoffman RL, Pascual JL, Martin ND, Kelz RR, Holena DN. Failure-to-Rescue After Injury is Associated with Preventability: The Results of Mortality Panel Review of Failure-to-Rescue Cases in Trauma. Surgery. 2017 Mar;16193):782-790. PMID 27788924.
4. Zaheer S, Pimentel SD, Simmons KD, Kuo LE, Datta J, Williams N, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Comparing International and United States Undergraduate Medical Education and Surgical Outcomes Using a Refined Balance Matching Methodology. Ann Surg. 2017 May;265(5):916-22. PMID 27429031.
5. Kuo LE, Simmons KD, Wachtel H, Zaheer S, Karakousis GC, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Racial Disparities in Initial Presentation of Benign Thyroid Disease for Resection. Ann Surg Onc. 2016 Aug;23(8)2571-6. PMID 27026437.
6. Kuo LE, Simmons KD, Murayama K, Kelz RR. Variation in the Utilization of Minimally Invasive Surgical Operations. Ann Surg. 2017 Mar;265(3):514-520. PMID 2816996.
7. Kuo LE, Hoffman, RL, Morris JB, Williams NN, Malachesky MM, Huth LE, Kelz RR. A Milestones-based Evaluation System – The Cure for Grade Inflation? J Surg Ed. 2015 Nov-Dec;72(6)e:218-25. PMID 26610358.
8. Kuo LE, Simmons KD, Kelz RR. Bariatric Centers of Excellence: The Effect of Centralization on Access to Care. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Nov;22(5)914-22. PMID 26304183.
9. Simmons KD, Hoffman RL, Kuo LE, Bartlett EK, Holena DN, Kelz RR. Is a colectomy always just a colectomy? Additional procedures as a proxy for operative complexity. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Oct;221(4):862-870. PMID 26228014.
10. Kuo LE, Wachtel H, Roses RE, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Incidental and Intentional Medicine Achieve Similar Results in Primary Hyperaldosteronism. Ann Surg Onc. 2015 Dec;22 Suppl 3:734-41. PMID 6193964.
11. Kuo LE, Simmons KD, Williams NN, Kelz RR, Variation in the Use of Minimally Invasive Bariatric Surgery. Surg Obes Rel Dis. 2016 Jan;12(1):144-9. PMID 26363717.
12. Ecker BL, Kuo LE, Simmons KD, Fischer JP, Morris JB, Kelz RR, Laparoscopic versus Open Ventral Hernia Repair: Longitudinal Outcomes and Cost Analysis Using State-wide Claims Data. Surg Endosc. 2016 Mar;30(3)906-15. PMID: 26092027.
13. Kuo LE, Simmons K, Holena DN, Karakousis GC, Kelz RR. A Risk-Prediction Model for Mortality in the Moribund General Surgical Patient. J Crit Care. 2015 Apr;30(2):310-4. PMID: 25499416.
14. Kuo LE, Wachtel H, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Reoperative Parathyroidectomy: Who is at risk and what is the risk? J Surg Res. 2014 Oct;191(2):256-61. PMID: 25012272.
15. Kuo LE, Wachtel H, Fraker DL, Kelz RR. Parathyroidectomy in Dialysis Patients. J Surg Res. 2014 Aug;190(2):554-8. PMID: 24950795.
1. Kuo LE, Nehs M. Benign and Malignant Thyroid Disease. In: Ashley SW (ed). Scientific American Surgery. Decker, 2018. In press.
2. Kuo LE, Nehs M. Thyroidectomy. In: Ashley SW (ed). Scientific American Surgery. Decker, 2018. In press.
3. Kuo L, Fraker DL. Hyperadrenergic Crisis. In: Martin ND and Kaplan LJ (eds). Principles of Critical Care for the Surgical Patient. Springer, 2016. 369-380.
4. Kuo LE, Kelz RR. Management of Thyroid Nodular Disease: Current Cytopathologic Classifications and Genetic Testing. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2016 Jan;25(1):1-16. PMID 26610771.
5. Kuo L, Kim P. Burn Management. In: Porrett PM, Drebin JA, Atluri P, Karakousis GC, Roses RE, (eds). The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide, Fourth Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
6. Kuo L, Rodriguez H. Popliteal Pathology. In: Eskandari MK, Morasch MD, Pearce WH, Yao JST (eds). Vascular Surgery: Therapeutic Strategies. Shelton, CT: People’s Medical Publishing House, 2010. 339-350.