James E. Barrett, PhD
Adjunct Professor, Center for Substance Abuse Research
- About Me
- Pharmacology of pain and substance abuse disorders
- Drug discovery and development
In addition to a career in academic research and teaching, I have also spent 15 years in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. I was the Chair of the Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, Founding Director of the M.S. Program in Drug Discovery and Development at Drexel University College of Medicine and also the Founding Director of the Clinical and Translational Research Institute at Drexel University.
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Neuropsychopharmacology and Behavioral Pharmacology, Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, Shrewsbury, MA
- PhD, Biopsychology/Neurobiology, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (Fellow)
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (Fellow)
- Behavioral Pharmacology Society
Honors & Awards
- Solvay-Duphar Award for Preclinical Research on Affective Disorders, 1991
- Graduate Student Teaching Award – Drexel University Biomedical Graduate Studies, 2009
- George B. Kolle Award - Presented to a local scientist who most closely emulates the outstanding qualities exemplified by Dr. Koelle: A profound commitment to teaching, a fondness for encouraging students, excellence in research and a strong devotion to the science of pharmacology, 2010
- P.B. Dews Lifetime Achievement Award for Research in Behavioral Pharmacology, 2012
- Distinguished Lecturer for the Elizabeth Fitzgerald Sporar Endowment for Distinguished Initiatives in Addiction Research, University of Texas Medical Branch, 2015
- Torald Sollmann Award for significant contributions over many years to the advancement and extension of knowledge in the field of pharmacology, 2015
- Past President, Behavioral Pharmacology Society
- Past President, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- Past President, Association of Medical School Pharmacology Chairs
- Executive Committee, International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (IUPHAR)
- Editor-In- Chief, Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology
Thompson, T., Dews, P.B. and Barrett, J.E. (Eds.) Advances in Behavioral Pharmacology, Volume IV, Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, Florida, 1984.
Thompson, T., Dews, P.B. and Barrett, J.E. (Eds.) Advances in Behavioral Pharmacology: Neurobehavioral Pharmacology Volume VI, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1987.
Barrett, J.E., Thompson, T. and Dews, P.B. (Eds.) Advances in Behavioral Pharmacology, Volume VII, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1990.
Barrett, J.E., Coyle, J.T. and Williams, M. (Eds). Translational Neuroscience: Applications in Psychiatry, Neurology, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., 2012.
Barrett, J.E. (Ed.) Pharmacological mechanisms and the modulation of pain. Elsevier Publishing Co., 2016.
Barrett, J.E., Page, C. and Michel, M.C. (Eds.) Concepts and Principles of Pharmacology: 100 Years of the Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, Springer-Nature, 2019.