Abdelhamid Liacini, PhD, D(ABHI)
Assistant Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- About Me
- NK cell can be remarkably efficient at eliminating several blood cancers. Research axis focuses on alloreactivity of Natural Killer cell in the context of hematopoietic cell transplantation.
- In vitro expansion of NK cells, T reg, VSTs and CTLs (adoptive cell therapy)
- Molecular oncology: solid tumor and blood malignancies
- Cytokines polymorphisms, Killer immunoglobulin Like Receptors (KIR) and susceptibility to viral infection after SOT/HCT.
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Transplant Immunology, University of Calgary, Canada
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary, Canada
- PhD, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Montreal, Canada
- MSc, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
- American Society for Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics (ASHI)
- American Society of Transplantation (AST)
- Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS)
- American Association of Bioanalysis (ABB)
Honors & Awards
- Abstract Travel Award in recognition of career achievement through scientific excellence in the field of cancer immunotherapy. Society of Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC), 2014
- Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Fellowship in the Director Training Program from Calgary Laboratory Services and Department of Pathology and Medicine, University of Calgary, 2010-2012
- AHFMR Post-doctoral Fellowship, University of Calgary, 2005-2008
1. Abdelhamid Liacini, Rabab Alattas. Tolerance to non-inherited maternal antigen (NIMA) allows successful kidney transplantation in regraft patient. Transplantation Proceeding 2019, 51(2): 526-529
2. Rabab Al Attas, Ricardo Lopez, Abdelhamid Liacini, Zuhoor AlQahtani, Hassan Alharbi, AhmedAl Otaibi, Dalal AlAbduladheem. Validation and Optimization of 96 Well-Tray Flow Cytometry Crossmatch. Transplantation Proceeding 2019, 51(2): 492-496
3. Rabab Al Attas, Ricardo Lopez, Abdelhamid Liacini, Zuhoor AlQahtani, Hassan Alharbi, AhmedAl Otaibi, Dalal AlAbduladheem. Discrepant Antibody Testing results: Which one to believe. Transplantation Proceeding 2019, 51(2): 497-503
4. Nicole Brown, Faisal Khan, Belal Alshaikh, Noureddine Berka, Abdelhamid Liacini, Essa Alawad a, Kamran Yusuf. 2019. CD-34+ and VE-cadherin+ endothelial progenitor cells in preeclampsia and normotensive pregnancies. Pregnancy Hypertension: (16): 42-47
5. Abdelhamid Liacini, Rabab Alattas. Persistent immune-tolerance to non-inherited maternal antigen (NIMA) allows successful kidney transplantation in regraft patient: Case report. Clin Case Rep Rev, 2017, 3(3): 1-4
6. Rabab Al Attas, Dalal AlAbduladheem, Adel A Shawhatti, Ricardo Lopez, Abdelhamid Liacini, Saber AlZahrani, Khalid Akkari, Nasreen Hasan, Abdulnaser Alabadi,2015: The dilemma of DQ HLA-antibodies. Hum Immunol. 2015 May; 76(5): 324-328
7. Yassmeen AlSaif, Abdelhamid Liacini, Rabab Alattas (2015) Using Human Cytomegalovirus Glycoproteins to Prevent Graft versus Host Disease through Downregulation of Major Histocompatibility Complex Class I and Class II: A Novel Approach. J Bone Marrow Res 3:159
8. Baluch A, Humar A, Eurich D, Egli A, Liacini A, Hoschler K, Campbell P, Berka N, Urschel S, Wilson L, Kumar D. Randomized controlled trial of high-dose intradermal versus standard-dose intramuscular influenza vaccine in organ transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2013 (4):1026-33.
9. Noureddine Berka; M John Gill; Abdelhamid Liacini; Tyler O'Bryan; Faisal M Khan 2011.HLA and Pharmacogenetics: Screening for HLA B*57:01 among HIV-positive patients from Southern Alberta. Human Immunology 2012 73(2):164-167.
10. Faisal Khan, Abdelhamid Liacini Sunny Wang, Meena Assad, Noureddine Berka 2011. Assessment of Fidelity and Utility of the Whole Genome Amplification for the clinical tests offered in a Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Laboratory. Tissue Antigens 2012 79 (5): 372–379
11. Abdelhamid Liacini, Mark E. Seamone, Daniel A. Muruve, and Lee Anne Tibbles (2010). Anti-BK Virus Mechanisms of Sirolimus and Leflunomide Alone and in Combination: Toward a New Therapy for BK Virus Infection Transplantation 2010;90: 1450–1457
12. Maria Figura, Lisa Chilton, Abdelhamid Liacini, Mirjana Maric Viskovic, Van Phan, Derrice Knight, Tim M. Millar, Paul Kubes, Wayne R. Gilles, Lee Anne Tibbles. 2009. Blockade of KATP channels reduces endothelial hyperpolarization and leukocyte recruitment upon reperfusion after hypoxia. American Journal of transplantation 2009, 9:1-10
13. Muhammad Zafarullah, Rasheed Ahmad, Mohammed El Mabrouk, Abdelhamid Liacini and Hamid Yaqoob Qureshi. 2008. Inhibition of Matrix Metalloproteinases as a Feasible Therapeutic Target in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Current Rheumatology Reviews, 2008, 4 (4): 288-297.
14. Angela L.M. Johnston, Xueqing Lun, Jennifer Rahn1, Abdelhamid Liacini, Mark Hamilton, Ian Parney, Barbara L. Hempstead, Stephen M. Robbins, Peter A. Forsyth and Donna L. Senger. The p75 Neurotrophin receptor is a central regulator of glioma invasion. PloS Biol. 2007, 5(8): e212: 1723-1737 [Research Highlight. NATURE REVIEWS NEUROSCIENCE (8): 738 (2007)]
15. Tommy Alain, Tom Kim, XueQing Lun, Abdelhamid Liacini, Leslie A. Schiff, Donna Senger and Peter A. Forsyth. Reovirus Disassembly is a Basic Determinant of Reovirus Oncolysis. Molecular Therapy, 15 (8): 1512-1521, 2007.
16. Abdelhamid Liacini, Judith Sylvester, Wen Qing Li, Faramase Dehnade and Muhammad Zafarullah. Mithramycin Down-regulates Proinflammatory Cytokine-Induced Matrix Metalloproteinase Gene Expression in Articular Chondrocytes. Arthritis Res & Therapy 7(4): R777-783, 2005.
17. Abdelhamid Liacini, Judith Sylvester, and Muhammad Zafarullah. Triptolide, PG490 is a potent suppressor of proinflammatory cytokine-induced matrix metalloproteinase genes expression. BBRC 327: 320-327, 2005
18. Abdelhamid Liacini, and Muhammad Zafarullah. Induction of aggrecanase1 (ADAM-TS4) by interleukin-1: Comment on the article by Pratta et al. Arthritis Rheum 50 (6): 2038-2039, 2004.
19. Abdelhamid Liacini, Judith Sylvester, Wen Qing Li, and Muhammad Zafarullah. Interleukin-17-signal transduction mechanisms leading to induction of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and matrix metalloproteinase- 13 gene expression in articular chondrocyte. Cell Signalling16: 469-476, 2004.
20. Wen Qing Li, Hamid Yaqoob Qureshi, Abdelhamid Liacini, Faramase Dehnade and Muhammad Zafarullah. Transforming growth factor β1-induction of TIMP-3 in articular chondrocytes is mediated by reactive oxygen species. Free Radical Biol & Med. 37(2):196-207, 2004.
21. Abdelhamid Liacini, Judith Sylvester, Wen Qing Li, Wensheng Huang, Faramaze Dehnade, Mushtaq Ahmad and Muhammad Zafaruullah. Induction of matrix MMP-13 genes by TNF-α is mediated by MAP Kinase, AP1 and NFκB transcription factors in articular chondrocytes. Exp Cell Res 288 : 208-217, 2003
22. Abdelhamid Liacini, Judith Sylvester, Wen Qing Li, Faramase Dehnade and Muhammad Zafarullah. Inhibition of IL-1 stimulated MAP kinase, AP1 and NFκB transcription factors down-regulates matrix metalloproteinase gene in human articular chondrocytes. Matrix Biol. 21: 251-262, 2002
23. Judith Sylvester, Abdelhamid Liacini, Wen Qing Li, Faramase Dehnade and Muhammad Zafaruullah. Triterygium Wilfordii Hook F (TWHF) Extract suppresses proinflammatory cytokine-induced expression of matrix metalloproteinase genes in articular chondrocytes. Mol Pharmacol 59:1196-1205, 2001