Suma Prakash, MD, MSc, FRCPC
Associate Professor, Medicine
- About Me
- Home dialysis
- Late-stage CKD care
- Renal replacement therapy modality decision-making
- Barriers to accessing renal care
- Barriers to home dialysis
- Health services research and quality improvement in CKD and ESRD
- Dialysis modality decision-making
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Fellowship, Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
- Residency, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
- MD, University of Ottawa School of Medicine, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- MSc, Clinical Epidemiology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- American Society of Nephrology
- Canadian Society of Nephrology
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Critical Care
- Manuscript Reviewer, Kidney International
- Manuscript Reviewer, Peritoneal Dialysis International
- Manuscript Reviewer, Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- Clinical Advisor, Centre for Drug Research and Development
Honors & Awards
- Travel Grant, World Congress of Nephrology, 2009
- Fellowship Training Award, Canadian Institute for Health Research, Toronto, Canada, 2004-2006
- Professional Training Scholarship, University of Ottawa, Canada, 1996-1997
- Board of Governor’s Award (Summa Cum Laude), University of Windsor, Canada, 1995
- Dean’s Honor List, University of Windsor, Canada, 1992-1995
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Council Scholarship, University of Windsor, Canada, 1994
- University Entrance Scholarship, University of Windsor, Canada, 1992
1. Prakash S, McGrail A, Lewis SA, Schold J, Lawless ME, Sehgal AR, Perzynski AT. Behavioural Stage of Change and Dialysis Decision Making, CJASN, 2015; 10:197-204.
2. S Prakash, S A Lewis, A R Sehgal. Response Letter to Dr. Wallace - Travel Distance and Home Dialysis Rates in the United States. Perit Dial Int: 34(6):675-677.
3. Prakash S, Perzynski AT, Austin PC, Wu F, Lawless ME, Patterson JM, Quinn RR, Sehgal AR, Oliver MJ. Neighborhood Socioeconomic status and barriers to peritoneal dialysis: A Mixed Methods Study. CJASN, 2013; 8(10): 1741-1749.
4. Prakash S, Coffin R, Schold J, Lewis SA, Gunzler D, Stark S, Howard M, Rodgers D, Einstadter D, Sehgal AR. Travel Distance and home dialysis rates in the United States. Perit Dial Int. 2014 Jan; 34(1):24- 32.
5. Prakash S. An International Perspective on Peritoneal Dialysis among Indigenous Patients. Perit Dial Int. 2011; 31(4):390-398.
6. Prakash S, Rodriguez RA, Austin PC, Fernandez A, Moist LM. O’Hare, AM. Racial Composition of residential areas associates with access to pre end stage renal disease care. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 Jul; 21(7):1192-9.
7. Prakash S, Hernandez G, Dujaili I, Bhalla V. Lead poisoning from an Ayurvedic herbal medicine in a patient with chronic kidney disease. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2009 May; 5(5):297-300.
8. Prakash S, O’Hare AM. Interaction of Aging and Chronic Kidney Disease in the Elderly. Semin Nephrol. 2009 Sep; 29(5):497-503.
9. Talerngsak Kanjanabuch, Wuthinun Sukhato, Pisut Katavetin, Suma Prakash, Krit Pongpirul, Kriang Tungsanga, Somchai Eiam-Ong. Beneficial effect of pioglitazone in proteinuric IgA nephropathy with concomitant ACEI/ARB treatment. Asian biomedicine. 2009 Jul; 3.
10. Prakash S, Kanjanabuch T, Austin PC, Poowaratanakul D, Croxford R, Hsu C, Choi AI, Cattran DC. Continental Variations in IgA Nephropathy among Asians. Clin Nephrol. 2008 Nov; 70(5):377-84.
11. Minnema BJ, Neligan PC, Quraishi NA, Fehlings MG, Prakash S. A case of occult compartment syndrome and non-resolving rhabdomyolysis, J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jun;23(6):871-4.
12. Prakash S, Austin PC, Oliver MJ, Garg AX, Blake PG, Hux JE. Regional effects of satellite hemodialysis units on renal replacement therapy in non-urban Ontario, Canada, Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007 Aug; 22(8):2297-303.
13. Prakash S, Garg AX, Heidenheim AP, House AA. Midodrine appears to be safe and effective for dialysis-induced Hypotension: systematic review, Nephrol Dial Transplant 19: 2553-58, 2004.
14. Lindsay RM, Shulman T, Prakash S, Nesrellah G, Kiaii M. Hemodynamic and Volume Changes During Hemodialysis, Hemodialysis International 7(3): 204-8, 2003.
15. Prakash S, Reddan D, Heidenheim AP, Kianfar C, Lindsay RM.. Central, peripheral, and other blood volume changes during hemodialysis, ASAIO J. 48(4): 379-82, 2002.
16. Prakash S, Mehta S. Lactic acidosis in asthma: report of two cases and review of the
literature, Can Respir J. 9(3): 203-8, 2002.
17. Lindsay RM, Heidenheim AP, Leitch R, Ryan H, Kroeker A, Peters K, Workentin L, Nesrallah. G, Prakash S, Kortas C & Daily/Nocturnal Dialysis Study Group. Short daily versus long Nocturnal Hemodialysis, ASAIO J 47(5):449-55, 2001.
18. Yaariv Khaykin, Suma Prakash, Maria Bacchus. Randomized Crossover Study to Evaluate Access to On-line Clinical Practice Guidelines Published on the World Wide Web as an Educational Tool. 2000 Jan; AMIA Inc, 1046.