Why was I contacted?
The THB3 team is inviting North Philadelphia residents to participate in this research partnership. Your neighborhood was selected because it is near the Temple University Health Sciences campus and Temple University Hospital.
Which neighborhoods is THB3 interested in?
Currently we are recruiting participants from Philadelphia zip codes: 19120, 19121, 19122, 19124, 19125, 19132, 19133, 19134, 19140, 19141, 19144.
These zip codes include neighborhoods such as: Brewerytown, East Kensington, Fairhill, Fern Rock, Fishtown, Germantown, Harrowgate, Hunting Park, Juniata, Juniata Park/Feltonville, Kensington, Logan, Nicetown, North Philadelphia East, Olney, Port Richmond, Strawberry Mansion and Yorktown.
Do I have to participate?
No. Participation is 100% your choice. Even if you agree to participate at first, you can always change your mind and stop.
If I agree to participate, what can I expect?
The THB3 study team will:
- Introduce themselves to you and explain the project
- Arrange a day and time to visit you
- Ask you general and specific questions about your health
- With your permission, contact you every several months to ask follow-up questions
- As opportunities arise, provide you with information about workshops, services or other health resources
How much time will this take?
Each survey will take approximately 10-20 minutes. The THB3 team will schedule the interviews at a time and place convenient for you.
How long will the research last?
The THB3 research study is expected to last a minimum of five years. While we hope that everyone will remain engaged in the project the entire time, participants are free to stop whenever they want.
What are the benefits to the community?
The research team is hoping that the information collected will help us develop new health programs for the people in the neighborhoods surrounding Temple.
Are there any risks in participating?
Initially, your participation in this study is limited to answering surveys about yourself and your health. Therefore, the potential risks are minimal:
- There is a chance that some of the questions may make you feel uncomfortable or you simply may not want to answer some of the questions. You are free to skip any question that you want.
- As with all research, there is a chance that some of the information you provide will accidentally be disclosed. The study team will make every effort to prevent this from happening, and they will never ask you for sensitive information (health insurance numbers, social security numbers, etc.).
At a later date, the THB3 team may ask you for some basic health measurements (height, weight, blood pressure, etc.). However, the THB3 team will ask your permission before collecting this information.
If you decide to participate in the study, the research team will provide you with an Informed Consent Form which will describe the study in detail. This will give you full information on the research. All information you provide will have your name and other identifying information removed from it as defined in confidentiality guidelines.
How do I sign up?
If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact the THB3 team at 215-707-THB3 (8423) or BlockByBlock@temple.edu.
How can I get additional information?
If you have any questions about this research study or would like any additional information, please contact the THB3 team at 215-707-THB3 (8423) or BlockByBlock@temple.edu.