In This Section

Office of Student Records

The Office of Student Records (OSR) is responsible for maintaining students' academic records, processing loan deferment forms, replacing missing photo identification cards and transmittal of official documents.

Location: MERB 328 
Phone:  215-707-2079

Student Records

Student records are stored on the Temple University database, Self-Service Banner (SSB). Self- Service Banner is Temple’s interactive web-based student system that gives real-time access to most records. Students can use SSB to update address information and make payments with a credit card. It is also possible to view and print certain student records including the academic history in a composite format (similar to an unofficial transcript), financial aid application status and awards, and account balances. SSB access is available via TUportal, the gateway to Temple’s other online services including the Blackboard Course Management System, TUmail, and the Cherry and White Pages Directory.

The website address for TUportal is: It is necessary to have an AccessNet username and password. AccessNet accounts can be activated at Log into TUportal and look for the Introduction to Banner channel on the Student tab. The channel has a summary of SSB functions. Clinical grades and evaluations can be viewed in One45 ( All course and clerkship grades, once reported to the Office of Student Records, are viewable in Banner. 

Holds on Student Records

System holds are placed on student records for the following reasons:

  • Tuition Delinquency - unpaid tuition, fees, health insurance

Electronically prevents generation of transcripts, course registration, posting of a final “degree award” date; also stops processing of matriculation verification and loan deferment forms. Contact the Bursar’s Office (215-204-7269) to address problems in this area. 

  • Library Delinquency - overdue books and fines

Electronically prevents generation of transcript, registration into appropriate class and courses and degree award; also stops processing of matriculation verification and loan deferment forms. For assistance, contact the Library Circulation Desk (215-707-2665).

  • Student Loan Paperwork - non-compliance with federally mandated debt counseling interviews

Electronically prevents generation of transcript, registration into courses and degree award. For assistance, contact Student Financial Services (215-204-2244).

  • Financial Aid Office - failure to submit required documentation

Electronically prevents generation of transcripts, processing of matriculation and loan deferment forms, registration. For assistance, contact Student Financial Services (215-204-2244).

  • Incorrect Address - incorrect address information in the University’s database 

Electronically prevents registration. Students can update address information via Self-Service Banner. For assistance if you are having difficulty making the changes, contact the Office of Student Records (215-707-2079).

  • Student Health - unpaid fees for services, failure to receive PPD screening

Electronically prevents generation of transcript and registration. Contact Student Health Services (215-204-7500) for assistance.


Oficial Transcripts

Official transcripts of a student's academic history are issued only upon written request of the student and are sent directly to the requested educational institution, state agency or potential employer. Temple University has authorized an outside vendor, Parchment, to provide transcript ordering via the Web. For information and instructions about ordering transcripts, log on to the Main Campus Office of the Registrar website at and click on the link for Transcript Services, and then Parchment. The cost per transcript is $8.25. 

Transcripts for ERAs, Scholarships and Away Rotations

Currently enrolled students can request a transcript for purposes of applying for residency programs, financial aid scholarships or Away rotations in the Office of Student Records, MERB 328.  Official transcripts originate from Main Campus and must be ordered via the web. It is recommended that you place your request two weeks in advance to ensure timely receipt of the documents. Unofficial transcripts are available from the LKSOM Office of Student Records, MERB 328 or email

In accordance with Temple University policy, the School of Medicine does not send academic records via FAX, nor does it give official status to documents received by FAX transmission. 

Temple University adheres to the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to ensure that confidentiality of academic records is maintained.

Confidentiality and FERPA

Temple University keeps educational records for our students. Confidentiality of those records is maintained by the University according to federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974.

FERPA provides the following rights for students and for the parents of dependent students, attending Temple University:

  1. The right of a student, with minor limitations, to inspect and review his or her education records;
  2. The right to request amendment of a student's education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights; 
  3. The right to withhold the disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records. 

When a student enters Temple University, regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student. Therefore, the University cannot disclose a student's education records, including grades, without the written consent of the student.

For more on FERPA rights and how students may submit a contact waiver, please visit:

For in-depth information regarding FERPA policy, please go to (PDF)

Student Record Access and Amendment Policy

Students have the right to review educational records: 

File Review: Students may review transcripts, registration and grades online through Self-Serve Banner. In addition, a student may make a written request to LKSOM Office of Student Records to review other documents in the academic record. After the file is prepared for review as per the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Records Office Administrator will contact the student to schedule a review meeting. All file reviews must be conducted in the presence of an LKSOM administrator. Copies requested from the student record may be provided—but are subject to FERPA regulations. 

If a student has waived his/her right to see any document, e.g., Letters of Recommendation, such documents will not be subject to student review.

The right to request amendment of a student's education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights: 
All requests to amend a student’s education record must be submitted in writing to the Office of Student Records. Administrative/clerical errors will be corrected promptly, within 1-3 business days. 

If the amendment request pertains to unfairness, prejudice, grade miscalculations, etc., such requests will be referred to the course or clerkship director, Associate Dean of Student Affairs or the Senior Associate Dean for Education for further review, consideration and resolution The procedure will follow the “Appeal of a Grade” policies and procedures.  

Enrollment Verification

Students or alumni in need of enrollment verifications should contact Denise Green in the Office of Student Records, 328 MERB, or by e-mail at

Registration/Payment Methods

Students' registrations are not finalized until all applicable tuition and fees are processed by the Office of Student Financial Services. Failure to satisfy all financial obligations when due will result in withholding of official transcripts and diplomas, and denial of the right to register for future sessions.

Financial aid, checks, cash and money orders are acceptable forms of payment. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Temple University. The University will not accept credit card payments directly or via the phone for payment of tuition and fees that appear on the billing statement. Credit card payments can be made via TUPay through the TUportal only and are processed by the University’s vendor. Students are charged a convenience fee of 2.75% by the vendor for credit card payments in addition to tuition and fees. No fee is charged for e-check payments.

MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. VISA credit, debit and check cards are not accepted. Credit card payments are not accepted in person by the cashiers at any of the Bursar’s Office locations, and will not be accepted via telephone through the Diamond Line or through the Bursar’s Office phone line.

Third party payments are acceptable. An approved letter/contract authorizing Temple University to bill the third party must be presented to the Office of Student Financial Services by the due date of the bill.

In-State/Out-of-State Residency Status

A student is classified as a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes if his/her permanent, legal residence is in Pennsylvania. In-state residency is generally established within the context of the following overall guidelines:

A student who has resided in Pennsylvania for a purpose other than pursuing higher education for a continuous 12-month period immediately prior to registration at Temple or any other college or university within the state is presumed to be a resident of Pennsylvania. A student who comes to Pennsylvania primarily or solely for the purpose of pursuing his/her education will not be considered a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes.

Students under 22 are presumed to have the domicile of their parents or guardians. A student who receives financial aid based on residence in a state other than Pennsylvania may not be considered a resident of Pennsylvania.

A student attempting to establish Pennsylvania residency must be a citizen of the United States or must hold a valid immigration visa. A student who does not qualify for such presumption must present convincing evidence to establish Pennsylvania residency. Such evidence may include some or all of the following: lease or purchase of a permanent Pennsylvania residence; payment of Pennsylvania taxes; transfer bank accounts, stock, automobile, and other registered property to Pennsylvania; acquisition of Pennsylvania driver's license; registration to vote in the State of Pennsylvania; acceptance of permanent full-time employment in Pennsylvania upon graduation; continuous presence in Pennsylvania during significant periods when not enrolled as a student; membership in Pennsylvania social, athletic, civic, political, and/or religious organizations; an affidavit of intention to reside indefinitely in Pennsylvania.

For further details: Specific questions pertaining to Pennsylvania residency status should be directed to the Main Campus Office of the Registrar at 215-204-1131.

Student ID Cards

Student identification cards are issued to new students upon registration into the first semester, and are distributed during new student orientation. The original photo ID is issued free of charge.

If an ID card is lost, you may apply for a replacement in the Office of Student Records (OSR), Room 328 MERB. There is a $20 replacement fee for each reissued card. Cash or checks payable to Temple University must be submitted to the Kresge Cash Operations window, lobby level of the Kresge Building. Please bring your receipt with you to OSR at the time the replacement request form is completed.

Return to the Medical Education page of the MD Student and Faculty Handbook