Nicolle Strand – Assistant Director, Research, CUB
Nicolle K. Strand is Assistant Director for Research at CUB, as well as Assistant Professor. Nicolle holds a JD and a Masters in Bioethics from the University of Pennsylvania. Before joining Temple, she was a Senior Policy and Research Analyst for the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues under President Barack Obama. There, she contributed to work on genomics and privacy, incidental findings in clinical and research settings, neuroscience research and consent capacity, neuroscience applications in law and policy, ethics education and democratic deliberation, and research ethics law and policy. She also spent time at the US Food and Drug Administration, and at the University of Pennsylvania's Office of General Counsel. Prof. Strand has written on informed consent, genomic research, incidental findings, and neuroscientific cognitive enhancement. She has spoken widely at bioethics and research ethics conferences, including the Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research annual Advancing Ethical Research conference, and the American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities annual conference.
- Nicolle K. Strand (2016), Shedding Privacy Along with our Genetic Material: What Constitutes Adequate Legal Protection against Surreptitious Genetic Testing? AMA Journal of Ethics, 18(3), 264-271. Available at: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2016/03/pfor2-1603.html.
- Anita L. Allen and Nicolle K. Strand (2015), Cognitive Enhancement and Beyond: Recommendations from the Bioethics Commission. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 19(10), 549-551.
- Nicolle Strand, “A Constitutional Right to Know: Are Research Participants Entitled to Results of Genetic Tests?” 15 U. PA. J. CONST. L. 1299 (2013).
- Levy, D., Splansky, G. L., Strand, N. K ., et al (2010), Consent for genetic research in the Framingham Heart Study. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A, 152A: 1250–1256. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.33377.
- Nicolle Strand (2015), Modernizing Human Subjects Research Protections: Informed Consent for Genetic Research. Bioethics Commission blog. Stable URL: https://bioethicsarchive.georgetown.edu/pcsbi/blog/2015/09/24/modernizing-human-subjects-research-protections-informed-consent-for-genetic-research/index.html
- Nicolle Strand (2012), FDA Further Appeals Loss over Graphic Tobacco Packages Regulation. RegBlog. Stable URL: https://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/regblog/2012/11/08-strand-fda- tobacco.html.